Here are five takeaways from USC’s 30-27 loss to No. 9 Notre Dame:
1. First-half regrets. In all three of USC’s losses, the Trojans have had opportunities to win, if not for self-inflicted damages. Versus BYU as well as Washington, it was all about turn overs and fines. Versus Notre Dame, it actually boiled down to first-half implementation. In the very first quarter, the Trojans could not take advantage of winning the field-position fight and also stopped working to rack up more than 3 points. In the 2nd, the protection stopped working to have Notre Dame in the run game and also paid a lot for it, quiting 17 points in the quarter. Those slips returned to haunt USC in the three-point loss.
2. Cleansed up. Clay Helton desired a cleaner efficiency against Notre Dame after flags and turnovers loaded up prior to the bye week, and also he got his wish. USC didn’t transform the sphere over when; the only time the Trojans fumbled, they recouped (even if the officials at first aimed the upside-down). And also USC had simply two fines implemented, a significant renovation from the 9.5 it was averaging the previous 2 games.
3. Stepp up. Though he was the third-string running back to begin the season, redshirt fresher Markese Stepp is starting to look a growing number of like USC’s future at the placement. He had 10 brings for 82 yards as well as the late goal that gave USC one last wheeze at a resurgence. It was a solid efficiency for the Indiana indigenous back in his residence state, actually, as he commonly dragged numerous Notre Dame gamers with him on his brings.
4. Tackling concerns. USC had a hard time to bring Notre Dame gamers to the ground on Saturday. Even stud security Talanoa Hufanga missed two tackles on the Irish’s 97-yard goal drive in the 2nd quarter, including on the racking up play. USC had difficulty with Notre Dame’s large receivers and also limited ends as well as requires to cleanse this location up in the back half of the season.
5. Banged up. The defense got beat to heck in this game. Five different beginners left at different factors for injuries: Linebacker Palaie Gaoteote IV, defensive end Drake Jackson, and also corners Olaijah Lion, Isaac Taylor-Stuart and also Greg Johnson. Their conditions relocating onward remain uncertain, however USC can not pay for to have all three of its starting edges missing practice before dealing with Arizona and also Khalil Tate today.
USC note pad: Scrum damages out between Trojans, Notre Dame at halftime USC return drops brief in loss to rival Notre Dame football USC football live updates vs. Notre Dame Battling Irish USC focusing on Notre Dame as greater than a competition USC at No. 9 Notre Dame: TV details, scouting report and forecast